A quick post before I’m off to work. Carrot cake has always been one of my favorites, adding fresh pineapple and a tiny bit more of cinnamon elevates the flavor nicely.
Ingredients (makes 10 cupcakes)
- 90g soft brown sugar
- 60ml canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 75g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 carrots, grated
- 5 tablespoons pineapple, cut into small pieces
For the Lightly Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 200g cream cheese, softened
- 35g unsalted butter, softned
- 120g powdered sugar, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
+ pineapple pieces for topping
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line cupcake cases or silicone cupcake liners.
- Place brown sugar and oil in a mixing bowl and mix on medium high speed for 2 minutes, then add eggs one at time and continue mixing.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl incorporate all dry ingredients and add to the main mixture and continue mixing on medium speed for another two minutes.
- Turn the mixer off and add the grated carrot and pineapple pieces and mix by hand using a spatula.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners, filling ¾ full.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
- Move them onto a wire rack and let the cupcakes cool down before preparing your frosting.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting by placing cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl with half of the powdered sugar and beat for few minutes, then add the remaining powdered sugar and ground cinnamon and keep beating, until smooth and creamy.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag with round piping tip and pipe on the cooled cupcakes, add some pineapple pieces on top and they are ready to eat!