Ingredients (makes 20 macaron cookies)
For the macaron shells:
- 80g egg whites, divided
- 100g granulated sugar
- 25ml water
- 100g almond meal/ ground almonds
- 100g powdered sugar
- few drops of yellow and pink food coloring
For the filling and decorations:
- 100g white chocolate
- 40ml heavy cream
- lemon curd
- raspberry jam
- black, yellow and red food coloring pens
Instructions – Italian method
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare two baking sheets with baking paper or silicone macaron baking sheets. You also need two piping bags.
- Divide your egg whites to two, leaving 40g aside and placing 40g in your mixing bowl.
- Place the granulated sugar and water in a pot and put it on the stove on medium heat, at the same time start whisking the egg whites in your mixing bowl in medium high speed.
- When the sugar and water mixture starts to boil let it boil for one minute until it comes a thick syrup then lower the whisking of your egg whites to low speed and slowly pour the syrup in the foam.
- Turn whisking on high speed and continue whisking for about 5 minutes until you get stiff and glossy peaks.
- Combine almond flour and powdered sugar until incorporated, then add your second part of egg whites in mix and divide to two adding few drops of yellow food coloring in the other part and leaving other white.
- Divide the meringue to two and combine with the almond paste mixtures one at time by gently folding until fully incorporated, should take less than 30 strokes with this amount.
- Place in piping bags and start from white piping shells with ears on one baking sheet and equal amount of shells with no ears on other baking sheet. Using a brush or toothpick draw pink lines in middle of the ears.
- Pipe the yellow shells on the same baking sheet with the white regular shells. For bunny tails you can add a sugar ball on the middle of the white ones.
- To get rid of possible air bubbles lift your baking sheet up 10 cm and dropping it on a flat surface, do that few times and place both baking sheets in the oven and bake for 18 minutes.
- Let the macaron shells cool down for about 5 minutes before peeling away.
- Meanwhile prepare the ganache:
- Place the heavy cream in a small sauce pan and bring to boil
- Break the white chocolate into pieces and place in a small bowl
- Pour the hot cream over the white chocolate leave it for a minute and then mix. If the chocolate does not melt completely you can warm it in microwave for 10 seconds and mix again until all chocolate melted and you got nice even ganache.
- Peel off your macarons and draw chicks faces and feet on half of the yellow and bunny faces on the bunnies using food coloring pens
- Place the ganace in a piping bag and pipe out circles of the ganache onto the flat side of a macaron and place some lemon curd in the middle of the yellow macarons and raspberry jam in the middle of the white macarons and top each with another macaron to make a sandwich.
- For macaron pops place a pops stick in the middle before you top it with another macaron.