Ingredients (makes 25 macaron cookies)
For the macaron shells:
- 80g egg whites, divided to two
- 100g almond flour/ ground almonds
- 100g powdered sugar
- 100g granulated sugar
- yellow and black gel food coloring
- lemon extract
- licorice root extract/powder
For the homemade Lemon curd
- 4 unwaxed lemons, zest and juice
- 200g sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs + one extra yolk
I made the Lemon curd a day before, using a recipe from BBC – Food Recipes
InstructionsSteps are the same as in Raspberry Citrus Macarons, only the ingredients are half the amount , colors are yellow and black and the flavors are lemon and licorice.
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare baking sheet with baking paper or silicone macaron baking mat. For multicolored shells you need three piping bags
2. Divide your egg whites to two, leaving 40g aside and placing 40g in your mixing bowl.
4. When the sugar and water mixture starts to boil – let it boil for one minute until it comes a thick syrup then lower the whisking of your egg whites to low speed and slowly pour the syrup in the foam.
5. Turn whisking on high speed and continue whisking for about 5 minutes until you get stiff and glossy peaks.
7. For two different flavored and colored batters divide the whisked egg whites to two adding two drops of lemon extract and a drop of yellow gel food coloring in one half and two drops of licorice extract* and a drop of black gel food coloring in the other half. Mix each until you get an even colored meringue.
*Using licorice root powder add teaspoon of it in the almond paste you use for the grey batter.
8. Divide the almond-sugar-egg white paste also to two. Then fold the paste into the meringue by gently mixing it, Italian meringue is a lot more stable than French and it’s not as prone to over mixing, still keep strokes to minimum mixing until evenly incorporated. Repeat the same for your second mixture.
9. For intense colors add few drops of the same yellow gel food coloring in your piping bag about 5 cm from the top for yellow mixture and add your pastel yellow mixture in the bag without pushing just yet.
11. Macarons with Italian method do not need to sit before baking. Get rid of possible air bubbles by lifting your baking sheet 10 cm and dropping it on a flat surface, do that few times and you are ready to bake the macarons. Just lower the temperature of your preheated oven to 150°C and bake in the middle of the oven for 16-18 minutes.
12. When testing whether they are baked enough you can gently touch one shell with your finger, if you feel it’s wobbly leave it for another minute or two until you can see the shell is settled and will come off in one piece.
13. Let the macaron shells cool down completely then line them up for filling, matching shells next to each other. Then place a spoonful of your Lemon curd on flat side of a macaron and top with another macaron to make a sandwich.The flavors are very lemony, next time I will use more of licorice to get stronger sense of it. This time I served them with some Fazer Salmiakki pastilles aside, flavor wise they would work in filling too if the texture would be softer and smooth.