Ingredients (makes around 50 macaron cookies)
- 150g egg whites, divided
- 50g ground walnuts
- 150g ground almonds, divided
- 200g brown powdered sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 200g granulated sugar
- 50ml water
- Nutella hazelnut spread
- Skippy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare two baking sheets with baking paper or silicone macaron baking sheets.
- Divide egg whites placing 75g in your mixing bowl and leaving aside 2 x 37.5g separated.
- In a bowl or plate mix the ground walnuts, 50g ground almonds, cocoa powder, 100g of brown powdered sugar and 37.5g egg whites, continue mixing until fully incorporated.
- In another bowl or plate mix the remaining ground almonds, brown powdered sugar and the remaining 37.5g egg whites.
- Place the granulated sugar and water in a pot and put it on the stove on medium heat, at the same time start whisking the egg whites in your mixing bowl on medium high speed.
- When the sugar and water mixture starts to boil let it boil for one minute until it comes a thick syrup then lower the whisking of egg whites to low speed and slowly pour the syrup in the foam.
- Turn whisking on high speed and continue whisking for about 5 minutes until you get stiff and glossy peaks.
- Divide the meringue into two and add the other half to the walnut mixture and mix it by gently folding with a spatula or a big spoon. Repeat same steps with the rest of the meringue and the almond mixture.
- Place into piping bag, using icing duet bags fill one section with the brown and one with white. Using single piping bags you can do it with 3 bags, using one to pipe both bags content through.
- Pipe the macaron shells onto your baking paper or silicone macaron mat.
- Get rid of possible air bubbles by lifting your baking sheet up 10 cm and dropping it on a flat surface, do that few times and you are ready to bake the macarons.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, test before removing from the oven by gently touching with your finger and if wobbly let them bake another minute or two so they come off the sheet in one piece.
- Let the macarons cool down for few minutes before filling.
- Fill by placing pea sized amount of peanut butter in the center then pipe some Nutella around it and finally top with another shell to make a sandwich.
- Place the macarons in the refrigerator and take out to room temperature 15-30 minutes before serving.