- 11g dry yeast
- 200ml warm water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 300g whole wheat flour
- 40g mix of seeds (whole poppy seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds)
- 20ml canola oil
- 1,5l water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Place yeast and sugar in a mixing bowl and pour over warm water, leave it for 5 minutes until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Add salt and egg and mix well then sift in half of the flour, add the seeds and mix.
- Gradually add the remaining flour and knead until the dough is soft but not sticky, add flour if it’s sticky. Keep kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a oiled bowl and leave in warm to rise for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 250°C and prepare a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Knead the dough again and divide it into 8 pieces and shape in to a ball.
- Make a hole in the middle of each ball using a wooden spoon or with your index finger spinning around to make a hole about 2 cm wide, cover with a kitchen towel.
- Meanwhile bring water to boil and add sugar. Slip the bagels in the boiling water 2 at time. Cook for about 2 minutes turning the bagels around in the water once a skin has formed.
- Place your seed mix in a plate or a bowl and dip the bagels in one at time covering both sides, then place on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Let them cool down for few minutes then serve warm.