Fried desserts are an essential part of Vappu (Walpurgis Night) celebrations in Finland which is why I will have two fried recipes after each other starting from these simple donuts.
- 125ml milk
- 11g fresh yeast
- 1 egg
- 75g sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed cardamon seeds
- 350g plain flour
- 25g butter, softened
- canola or coconut oil for deep frying
- confetti sprinkles
- In a mixing bowl dissolve the yeast into lukewarm milk.
- Whisk in egg, salt, sugar and about ¾ of the flour and mix well.
- Add butter and rest of the flour and knead by hand until you got an elastic dough that comes off the bowl without sticking in.
- Cover the bowl and leave to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 20 pieces shaped to a ball and push a hole in the middle using a spoon or with your finger.
- paper towels to drain the excess oil and sprinkle with sugar.
- Have fun, add color with edible confetti!