For the dough:
- 125g butter, softened
- 70g whole wheat rye flour
- 50g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 120ml sour cream
For the filling:
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into small cubes
- 100g vegetable cream cheese, softened
This dough is good to prepare beforehand as it’s easier to work with when it has had time to harden in the refrigerator.
- Mix your rye flour, plain flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add softened butter and mix well.
- Last add your cold sour cream and mix until completely incorporated.
- Place the dough in a Ziploc bag or wrap it in clingfilm.
- Put the dough into refrigerator and leave to harden for at least an hour before baking.
- When your dough has hardened you can start preparing the filling, but don’t take the dough out from refrigerator until you are ready to start work on it.
- Preheat oven to 225ºC and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Peel and grate the carrots and the onion, chop half of a bell pepper into small cubes and mix them together with the softened vegetable cream cheese and you are done with the filling.
- Place your dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it out.
- Cut out circles with diameter of 10 cm.I used a jar lid to cut out my circles
- Make small cuts on one side of your circle, halfway up leaving the edge splits a bit wider.
- Place a spoonful of the filling on the other side, leaving about 1cm margin on the edge.
- Start bringing the splits across starting from the middle, bringing four or six depending on the size right across.
- Then working your way onto the sides start crossing them over each other until you have 3 splits left on both edges.
- You still got that margin on the other side, lift it up and bring the outer splits on the opposite site to perform an edge.
- Bring the rest of the splits on the same side and tuck the ends under the pastry.
- Adjust the shape by slightly tapping with your finger, both from the top and the sides.
- Bake for 20 minutes until they are dark golden brown.Delicious eaten hot or cold